I was craving some homemade muffins the other day. I blame the growing baby …. so I found this great recipe from Oh She Glows for some ‘strawberry, banana,’n nut butter love muffins’. I didn’t have all the ingredients the recipe called for so I had to make a few substitutions. thus, these ended up being ‘raspberry, banana’n peanut butter love muffins‘ instead.
they certainly won the hubby + I both over – YUM!
so here is how my adaptation worked out …
- 1 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1.25 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1.5 banana’s mashed + left a bit chunky
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- grease a muffin tin + set aside. I actually had some muffin papers on hand, so I used those instead of greasing.
- in a small bowl lightly beat your egg + set aside OR if you are using the original recipe make your chia or flax egg + set aside.
- in a large mix all dry ingredients (flours, salt, cinnamon, sucanat, baking soda + baking powder). set aside.
- in a medium sized bowl, mix all the wet ingredients (egg, milk, warmed coconut oil, nut butter + maple syrup). mix well.
- add wet to dry and store.
- fold in chopped strawberries.
- scoop mixture into muffin tin.
- this made 16 small muffins + I baked them for about 20-25 minutes. baking time will vary depending on the size of your muffins.
we enjoyed ours warm with a bit of butter.
the other day I included an article for the “30 things to stop doing to yourself“. Incase you missed it on ‘the healthy ginger’ facebook page, here is a follow-up article for the “30 things to start doing for yourself“. both articles are fab.
happy baking + reading friends!