Happy Friday everyone!
Today has been a little crazy busy, but awesome! We have some special visitors arriving in town for the weekend, which is very exciting.
I thought I would share my afternoon snack with you!
Too delish not too. it is so easy to make, and very satisfying and healthy.
I seriously love avocado. and this is just one delicious way to enjoy it!
- 2 pieces of bread (I used a fresh piece from the bakery that is whole grain + flax)
- 1/2 avocado
- Sun dried tomatoes (sulfite free)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Toast the bread
- Cut the avocado in half, and scoop out the flesh onto your toast when it is ready
- I use a fork to mash it up a bit more too
- Top with a bit of S.S + P as well as the sun dried tomatoes
Aren't they so beautiful!
When I first started to cook, I really had no idea to cut an avocado properly.
And I also couldn't seem to buy one that wasn't brown or so rock hard I couldn't use it for days.
Of you haven't quite perfected how to cut the avocado watch this how-to video.
Note: PLEASE be careful removing the seed. I may or may not have almost removed a digit on one occasion..... it still makes me cringe!
In terms of how to choose the best avocado when grocery shopping, I have learned by trial and error. You want one that is still relatively firm. You will be able to tell by gently touching the fruit. Generally, you will have a 1-3 day time frame to use the fruit before it turns mushy.
Reason's to LOVE the avocado, it contains SO much healthy goodness....
- Vitamin K (blood clotting)
- Fibre (healthy elimination of dirty toxins)
- Potassium (contains more than a banana)
- Folate (great for everyone but especially women when trying to conceive or those who are pregnant)
- Lutein (eye sight)
- Monounsaturated fat (oleic acid) which has been shown to decrease LDL (bad cholesterol) and increase HDL (good cholesterol). Oleic acid has also been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer. Healthy fats are essential for several functions in the body including the transportation and absorption of other nutrients.
- B6 (good for morning sickness)
Oh, and let's not forget how amazing it is for gorgeous and glowing skin! I usually keep the skin of the avocado (that often contains a bit of the flesh) and make it into an avocado facial!
Check out this article for even more health info on avocados, and how to do the mask.
Happy and healthy weekend everyone.