There are some whole food items I simply can't live without.
Every season we move twice which means I empty one kitchen and stock another. and to be honest, I actually get a lot of pleasure out of this (dork alert).
This got me thinking about some item's that I want you to have in your kitchen. These are ingredients that I use in my day-to-day cooking, so I thought I would share!
Just to recap.....
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): Look for first cold pressed, in a dark glass container. store in a cool and dark place. Do not cook over a low-medium heat with EVOO.
- Raw, unrefined coconut oil. Can be used at higher temperatures and be used in place of butter in cooking and baking in most situations. Also great for beauty as it is great as a body moisturizer, eye makeup remover, hair mask (rinse in the AM), nail/cuticle oil, and lubricant.
- Raw + unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. Great for digestion, and used in place of white vinegar. Can also be used to clean windows and mirrors diluted with water. Can take 1 Tbsp + 8 ounces of warm water 20-30 minutes before your meal to aid in digestion.
- Spices. There are several I stock in my kitchen. I used fresh when possible, but I always keep several dried varieties on hand as well including: cinnamon, cayenne, sea salt, black pepper, turmeric, rosemary, nutmeg and thyme.
- Lentils + legumes. I stock a variety of dried and canned versions at all times. Can be used in a salad, soup, stews, stir-fry, pasta, or pizza. I like to cook large batches so I can keep in the fridge and freezer for meals later in the week.
Believe me there are soooo many more item's that I love. but this is a great start!
It is a gorgeous sunny day here today so I am heading out to find somewhere outdoors to do some work and soak up some vitamin D.
Have a great day!