Ohhhh happy day it's friday!
I'm especially excited for this weekend because one of my best friends is getting married. I am honoured to be standing up in her wedding party and can't wait for the festivities to begin.
This weekend is also a little bittersweet, it's our last wedding of the year! it has been a summer full of love as the hubs and I have helped celebrate 8 amazing couples. I'm a sucker for love ;)
I hope that you are hitting up your local farmer's market tomorrow to fill your kitchen with delicious seasonal, whole foods. I want to share this fall stew recipe with you that puts some of the sweetest tastes of fall harvest to great use! the best part is that beyond washing and chopping your veggies, the slow cooker will do the rest! almost every single ingredient is local and if you make a big batch there will be plenty for leftovers.
- 2 zucchini
- 5 carrots
- 5 stalks of celery
- 1 cup sweet potatoes (bite size chunks)
- 1 cup mushrooms
- bruschetta leftovers that I had in the fridge OR a cup of local tomatoes would be fabulous (bruschetta recipe here)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups of cooked OR organic canned black beans
- 3 cups of pure filtered water
- 2 cups broth of your choice (homemade OR an organic/low sodium brand is great)
- Sea salt + pepper to taste
- Optional: pinch of chilli flakes
- Wash + chop your veggies into bite size pieces.
- Add the veggies, black beans, bruschetta mix (optional), garlic, thyme, chilli flakes (optional) broth + water to the slow cooker.
- I cooked mine on high for 4 hours and the veggies were perfectly cooked but if you are heading to work you may want to put it on low before you leave.
- Feel free to add more liquid if necessary.
- Add sea salt + pepper to taste.
The husband and I enjoyed this for lunch accompanied by an open face sandwich made of sprouted grain bread (toasted) with avocado, sea salt, pepper and a bit of lemon juice on top.
If you have lots of leftovers feel free to freeze some for another day or store in the fridge to make the perfect addition to another meal later in the week.
Have a wonderful weekend friends!