Here are some reasons to love spinach: it is an excellent source of calcium, iron, fibre, vitamin K + C + A, amino acids (protein), antioxidants such as zinc + vitamin E, and phytonutrients .... just to name a few!
There are so many reasons to eat your greens making it a truly versatile food. It is a great addition to smoothies, pastas, pizzas, wraps, stir-frys, or as a side to any meal. Eating it raw is not bad by any means, but if you think about it or have a few extra minutes, consider lightly steaming it.
Spinach also made it's way into lunch today as well.
The hubby and I enjoyed these mushroom and chicken wraps with a side salad.
For the wraps you will need....
- Sprouted grain tortilla OR gluten free option OR any other tortilla/wrap of your choice
- 1 handful of spinach per wrap (I used it raw, but you could add it to the mushrooms for a couple of minutes to lightly steam it)
- 1 organic chicken breast
- 2 cups of mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- Goat cheese (desired amount)
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
For this super simple and quick-to-assemble salad you will need....
- A couple large handfuls of greens
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 cup red cabbage
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add chicken and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until cooked. Allow the meat to rest a few minutes before slicing into bit size pieces for your wraps.
- On medium heat add mushrooms and butter to a pan. Cook for about 15 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked. Add minced garlic and combine mixture.
- In the meantime you can start to assemble your salad by chopping your cucumber and red cabbage on top of your greens.
- Now assemble your wrap. Place a handful of spinach on the wrap followed by the chicken and mushroom mixture.
- Add a couple dollops of goat cheese on top of the spinach, chicken and mushrooms and you can then drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar or a balsamic glaze if you want.
- Roll up your wraps and serve.