how is your week going so far friends? I hope that the spring air on your pretty little faces is making way to some big smiles + some new found energy. I think my favourite part of spring (in addition to beautiful flowers) is the amount of daylight. yeah for sunshine
I had a lot of requests to post the recipe for this lovely apple cinnamon buckwheat cereal for breakfast that I savoured last week…..
buckwheat isn’t actually a part of the wheat family at all and is in fact a member of the rhubarb family. this gluten free grain is rich in iron, zinc and selenium and is suitable for those with a gluten sensitivity or intolerance.
I would say that it has a rather mild nutty flavour and is a very versatile option to use for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I purchase my buckwheat groats in bulk and always soak them for at least 12-24 hours before using. this makes the grain much more digestible and speeds up their cooking time.
- buckwheat groats (amount depending on how many mouths you are feeding)
- organic apple
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- handful of almonds
- handful of raisins
- cinnamon (lots of it!)
- 1 tbsp natural sweetener: maple syrup OR honey OR stevia OR blackstrap molasses
- option: drizzle of almond butter OR 1 tbsp coconut oil
- soak buckwheat groats by submerging them in water for at least 12 hours. in the morning rinse well.
- in a pot, add the buckwheat groats and a generous amount of water. bring to a rolling boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until the grain has reached your desired cooked consistency.
- strain in a fine mesh strainer.
- add your almond milk, chopped apple, raisins, almonds, cinnamon + sweetener of your choice. combine all ingredients well.
- option: drizzle a spoonful of almond butter on top OR coconut oil
this made for a perfectly satisfying + delicious breakfast. I hope you will try including this grain in some of your future cooking + baking
I came across this lovely quote the other day + feel the need to share……
If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.”
~ Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Philosopher and Statesman
wishing you lots of self love + confidence in all you do today!
Tags: almond butter, almond milk, almonds, blood sugar levels, breakfast, buckwheat, cinnamon, coconut oil, gluten free, nuts + seeds, quote
good morning + welcome to monday!
for those of you who received a blast of winter last night I hope you are staying warm on this monday morning. and for those of you living in a sunny + warm climate – enjoy it we woke up to a light dusting of snow in Syracuse and it is actually quite gorgeous.
so how was your weekend friends? I had a wonderful birthday weekend, so thank you for all of your virtual birthday love. yesterday was sunday-funday at my house. the husband had the day off and we didn’t leave our apartment once. it was a full day of rest + relaxation. to me that means good food, naps, stretching, meditation, reading, clean the house, prep some food for the week, spend a bit of time in from of the computer (pinterest rules my life on sundays…) + TV and watch a movie. we keep saying we are trying to enjoy these quiet days as much as we can since that will be changing very soon…but very much a welcomed change, I might add.
today I awoke feeling amazingly refreshed + ready to take on the week ahead…I hope you did too! as I sipped on my warm water with the juice of a lemon + dash of cayenne (zing!) I prepared a green juice for myself (kale + cucumber + pineapple + blueberries + aloe vera juice + juice of a lime) as well as this raw monday morning oatmeal.
I am calling it raw since none of the ingredients were cooked but if you would prefer your oatmeal warmed, just add the mixture to a pot on the stove and heat for a couple of minutes.
- 1 cup oat groats (I soaked these over night + rinsed really well in the morning)
- 1 cup almond milk
- ripe banana
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- cinnamon + pumpkin spice to taste
- dash of stevia
- soak oat groats overnight + rinse really well.
- add groats, almond milk, banana, flax seed, almond butter, hemp seeds, cinnamon + pumpkin spice and stevia to a blender. blend for about 1 minute or until smooth.
- serve OR add to a pot + warm for a couple minutes.
- top with a bit more cinnamon.
this is a yummy power breakfast that will stabilize your blood sugar levels + provide you with sustained energy throughout your morning. I encourage you to give it a try. for more tasty breakfast recipes feel free to browse over here.
make it a great monday!
Tags: almond butter, almond milk, banana, blender, breakfast, cinnamon, flax seeds, hemp seeds, juice + smoothie, oat groats, oatmeal, vegetarian